Sunday, February 17, 2013

It's Later Than You Think!


I recently posted on my Facebook about how sobering it was that within the last few years, all of the friends I have lost went far too early. In the last five years I have lost a cousin, two of my close friends have lost either a father or mother, both passing away well before old age. Then there was a friend of mine who passed away less than a year ago, not even yet 45 years old.

About a year ago, my friend's (the one who lost his mother) father shared about the preview for "The Way" on his own Facebook wall - And I decided to give it a preview. It was certainly intriguing, but I did not watch it until tonight - February 18th, 2013. And how timely it was.

And today another friend seems to be losing the fight for life as she struggles to overcome major lung problems, and also another is living life with a malignant brain tumor inside of his head - a young husband and father, with a bright smile and so much life ahead.

So what can I make of this? What can you? Do we grieve and let the horror of death grip our spirit, or do we rejoice in Hope, and press on through the trials that life brings?

Definitely the later.



Fellow colleague, and author Frank Keefer writes in his book, Reflections of A Master:

"It’s Later Than You Think!
At Some Point You Will be the Other Guy!

News of John Kalench’s death hit me like a bullet between the eyes! No, more like a lance through the heart. He was not only a good friend, but also an industry giant. I have no doubt that in the short time that he was with us he accomplished his life’s goal of creating a million friends. At a minimum, he changed the lives of tens of thousands through his seminars and books. I know. I was one of them. I celebrated his knowledge and experience by giving away his books by the case to both distributors and prospects as well.

Although we talked occasionally on the phone, the last time that I saw John was at a Master’s Seminar we did in the Northwest a while back. John and I shared a common bond. The medical community had written us
both off.

At the time, I was barely holding my own but miraculously John was in remission from a cancer that is fatal in nearly 100% of the cases. I was ecstatic for him. John’s passing, along with the deaths of two other friends in the same week, all three younger than me, brings to the fore front my own mortality and an adage that my uncle has drilled into my head for decades: “It’s later than you think!”

So why do I write this? Well that's simple, really. I hope to remind myself, and hopefully you also that it is indeed later than you think!

I do not write to scare you into pursuit of your goals, but rather instead to compel you towards reaching them. Each of life's challenges are nothing but doorways to opportunities that we have yet to see until gazing upon the light of sorrow with proper perspective and attitude.

Cheers.

No comments :

Post a Comment