Friday, April 5, 2013

Well, this is it!

I remember sitting across from my father and telling him that I was taking a break from classes at Lancaster Bible College. We were at Round the Clock Diner and it was in the morning, if my memory serves me correctly. I had just finished my second school year with LBC, and experienced trouble balancing two part time jobs, building my UnFranchise, and keeping life "normal" all at once. There were definitely plenty of signs that something needed to change in order to do well with my life goals. So I had planned to stop classes at LBC in order to focus more wholeheartedly on my life as a shop consultant, and return to LBC once I was financially stable. I have been tremendously blessed with a family that has always (to my own amazement at times) supported my every move... so despite my major decision, my father, and mother stood behind it 100%.

Eventually, it became evident that I needed more stability than my efforts as an UnFranchise owner could provide. I was working very hard, but lacked the ability to convince others that my efforts were worth it at the time. I had struggled with the idea of joining the military, as I wanted to return to school as soon as possible, and was not aware of all the military education benefits available at the time.
I eventually learned through family friend Ron Gilbert that joining the military was actually one of the best ways to finish school! I learned about tuition assistance, and how I could complete classes while I was serving on active duty.... so this is exactly what I set out to do.
So I called my Air Force Recruiter in York, and eight months of waiting for a slot to open in my chosen career field. On December first, 2008, I took the oath of enlistment, and signed up for four years of service as a Structural Journeyman in the Civil Engineering Squadron of the USAF.

Eight weeks of Basic Military Training, and sixteen weeks of tech school later, I was then off to Misawa Air Base, in Japan, where I met my wife Sarah, and learned the ropes of my job, and how to work with many different levels of rank and personality. Wow, was that ever a growing experience!
Following that tour, Sarah and I were sent to Spangdahlem Air Base, in Germany. Sarah is now a Staff Sergeant in the Immunology section, and I am about to quit! WOW!
OK, So I am not exactly quitting, but we are definitely in the middle of a transition. I am leaving the Active Duty sector of the Air Force to allow myself time to do
the exact same things I left LBC for...

This time, it's different though. I now have the added stability of the Post 9-11 GI Bill, and the financial support of Sarah as I embark on our goals (I'm now just ten classes away from a Bachelors Degree, and have plans to get a master's degree in Social Entrepreneurship). Sarah has 1.5 years left on Active Duty, and I will remain in the Reserves while she completes her tour. We've had to go through a lot of changes, the biggest of which will by my separation from Active Duty on May 3rd, and a forced move due to less of a housing benefit than we had as a "mil to mil" couple.
As I sit and write this, it's almost 3AM Germany time. Sarah and I have been at moving for almost two weeks, moving what we could when we could, as I struggled to keep pace with managing YAFCA and Earn Socially in the midst of the transition. Well....IT'S ALMOST HERE!!! I would be remiss if I did not at least include a blog post to commemorate this intense and life altering event. So there you have it... ta daaaa! Sarah and I are going through a change. It's a big one, and we are going to emerge better for it in the end. I am confident of this, because God has directed our steps both as a couple, and as individuals. I will be home focusing on my efforts to become a life coach, and personal trainer while we grow our now aptly named "Earn Socially" internet franchise, and begin to take on full time management and growth options for YAFCA.org. I am excited for what comes next!

No comments :

Post a Comment